Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Another Leaf Drops

I lost my last aunt this past Thursday. While at first glance, she was at times a distant aunt, she was still a leaf on my tree. I gazed at her. She was not there. I knew it at once. It was not my vibrant, laughing, strong, aunt. Her eyes were closed now forever with a downward frown on her face. She was clearly with her Lord and not in this place.

My mother is the last in her family now. There is something about attending a funeral in which I was not the officiant. It somehow put me in a different place an in between spot. I was not entirely comfortable being in the in between. My mother strong and yet clearly disturb by her own loss.

We tend to have such attachments to our relatives. They are a link to our identity and our heritage. My Aunt was a major link in our family. She always seemed to smile. She was a strong lady who died with that same grace and dignity. She was a very young ninety seven born in 1913 in a so very different time. Our time will seem and be different for others in our passing too.

My mother who has really never been very religious when I asked her if she wanted me to say a prayer, quietly nodded "yes". I can only imagine all the feelings that soared through her as she gazed at the beautiful white coffin. Crosses etched into the sides. On the inside top of the coffin was embroidered the Holy Bible. I never thought about what we actually can take with us. The Bible!! Our love of people, our smiles at life, our gratitude for all that God has provided us even when we never knew. Oh aunt Mary I will sorely miss you, your love and care. God is continuing to provide for all of your needs my fallen leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment