Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Reflections on Sermon Sunday 9/5/2010

Hello,

I thought it would be nice to stop and reflect on what I liked and did not like about the text I preached about on Sunday. I struggle as many of you do with control. Well the topic text on Sunday was the potter and the clay. I know that I am not the potter. I feel many days exactly like the clay being pressed upon by life as if a push for me to adjust.

I know that I am not in control of life. I know that I do not control people or things. However, the issue of God's plans and how much of them are known is an issue for me. I am like clay in the potter's hands. I have free will to do whatever I choose to do. Do I really grasped the idea of control and acceptance? To truly give up control one must accept first that they never had any control from the beginning. I think that I fool myself into thinking that at one time I may have had control over things. I realize now that I never did.

What does all of this control have to do with the great potter shaping me and forming me? It reflects each of our desires to tell the potter how and what to make of us. I want to be this or that. In reality, we can only become what we have accepted and allowed the potter to make of us. Our acceptance means that we give in to the need to control.

The clay seems to just be there and allow formation to take place. It goes with the bending and creating. It becomes something new and is ok with its newness.

Do we allow the potter to shape us? Are we being reworked each day or merely resisting the potter's movements to shape and change our lives?

Only time will tell what is really formed and by whom!

No comments:

Post a Comment